Not sure which test is right for you?? COMPARE THE SAT & ACT EXAMS HERE !
* You MUST set up an account and register for the SAT exams on collegeboard.org. We do not register students at TMHS for the SAT exams. The initial registration process on college board takes about 20 minutes, so do not wait until the last minute!
* The typical turn-around time for SAT test results is about 2.5-3 weeks.
* TMHS students do not have to take the SAT exam at TMHS. The exam can be taken at any location as long as there is space available.
* The best time to take the SAT is in the Spring of your Junior year. Many students also decide to take the SAT again in the fall of their Senior year. Please note: many colleges and universities require 2 sets of scores. Please check your school’s admission requirements for details.
* College Board has partnered with Khan Academy to provide FREE test prep materials starting in the Spring of 2015.
* The SAT exams are timed tests. The new SAT (including registration, the test-taking, the essay, breaks, and instruction time) takes approximately 5 hours. Students not taking the Essay portion should plan about 4 hours. Students are allowed to leave when everyone in their classroom completes test.
Writing & Language – expression of ideas and grammar across 4 passages – 44 questions / 35 minutes
Math NO calculator – algebra, data analysis, geometry, trigonometry – 20 questions / 25 minutes
Math WITH calculator – algebra, data analysis, geometry, trigonometry – 38 questions / 55 minutes
Essay (optional) – read and analyze a 650-750 word document, then draft an essay explaining how the author builds an argument – 1 passage and prompt / 50 minutes
Raw Score: 1 point for every right answer; 0 point for every wrong or omitted answer; no guessing penalty. Answering just 5 more questions correctly could raise your score by as much as 100 points.
Scaled Score: 200-800 for Reading and writing; 200-800 for Math; 2-8 for Essay
* The SAT Subject tests take about 2 hours each. Students are allowed to leave when their classroom has completed the test – they do not have to wait for the entire school to complete the test.
* College board has established some very strict rules around the administration of the SAT exams. There are NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES ALLOWED INSIDE THE CLASSROOMS during the exams. All phones must be kept outside the classroom, so students are advised to leave them at home or in their car while taking the exam. Students are allowed only number 2 pencils, a calculator approved by college board, a sealed snack and a sealed water bottle in the classroom. You MUST have a valid id with a front-facing picture in addition to your ticket with your picture on it. Please refer to the college board website for all the latest rules.
College Board: SAT information plus links for planning for college, taking the tests, finding the right school, getting into college, and paying for college.
You can register for the SAT online and you can access the dates for the SAT.
Not sure which exam is right for you? COMPARE THE SAT & ACT EXAMS HERE !
* You MUST set up an account and register for the ACT exams at www.actstudent.org. We do not register students at TMHS for the ACT exams. The initial registration process on college board takes about 20 minutes, so do not wait until the last minute!
* The typical turn-around time for ACT test results is about 2-8 weeks (5-8 weeks with writing). Scores are posted online according to the schedule under the ‘View Your Scores‘ link.
* TMHS does not host the ACT exam The exam can be taken at any location as long as there is space available.
ACT Time & Score Breakdown:
English – Grammar and rhetorical skills across 5 passages – 75 questions / 45 minutes
Math – Algebra, geometry and trigonometry questions – 60 questions / 60 minutes