August 2017 – Another school year is about to begin. Please take a moment to read my back-to-school letter, which was sent out to families this week.
Here is the link for our newest staff members.
Hello Dewing Families:
Welcome to the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year. I hope you’ve had some good times this summer – I know we have – and are looking forward to a new season of teaching, learning and fun here at school.
I’ve lots of little bits of information to share with you that I think will be helpful as you try to navigate around all the details of life in public school. They are here, in no particular order of importance.
- We’ve changed our website. It’s still located here…https://www.tewksbury.k12.ma.us/dewing/ but we’re trying to keep it more current. Let us know if you have ideas for content. Please take a look and visit frequently. Calendar on our website should be up to date. If you have any questions, email Joy Wallace (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Dewing office.
- We’ve boosted the use of technology at the Dewing. From upgrading our servers so that we’ve got the same upload and download capacity to supplying every classroom with five iPads to use for reading and math centers, we’re hoping that our teaching and administrative practices will keep up with expectations for learning.
- Journeys and GO Math, our core reading and math resources, have digital components and assessments that teachers and students will begin to use this year. Students will be able to access in school and at home.
- Teachers will share ThinkCentral user names and password. You will also be able to use these with the iPad app, HMH Player. More info to come later.
- Food Services should have already supplied preschool and kindergarten and families new to Dewing with the Lunch ID numbers.
- Student Handbook. Please make sure that you take the time to review the student handbook. We make changes to the handbook each year and it is your responsibility to be familiar with the handbook and its contents. This year our Student Handbook will only be available electronically for returning families. First time Dewing families will receive a paper copy during the first week of school. The handbook can be viewed on our website www.tewksbury.k12.ma.us under Dewing School’s Parent Resources link (https://www.tewksbury.k12.ma.us/dewing/about/general-information/handbook-and-parent-information-guide/ ). Students and parents must verify they have reviewed the Student Handbook by clicking yes on the box in the forms area of Community Pass by September 15th. We have included directions for logging into Community Pass and setting up an account. The link to access the forms is https://register.communitypass.net. The tab for the forms is at the bottom of the list.
- Critical Forms (Accident and Illness , Photo Release, Student Handbook sign off) Back to school always means filling out several critical forms so that we can best serve your child. To reduce the amount of paper we send home to you, we have made electronic versions of the forms for you to read and sign using Community Pass. We have included directions for logging into Community Pass and setting up an account. The link to access the forms is https://register.communitypass.net. The tab for the forms is at the bottom of the list. Click on the forms tab to access all forms. Since we use email to communicate with parents primarily we ask that you make sure that your email in Aspen is up to date when you are updating your other information in Aspen. Please make sure your contact information including emergency information is accurate.
- Drop down to next page for Community Pass information.
- Make sure you LIKE us on Facebook and FOLLOW us on Twitter. We find this is the fastest way to get general information out to families. We will also post on our school website.
- There are some new faces at the Dewing, plus some of our familiar faces are working in new spaces. Check this page out to see!
- Kindergarten Orientation for parents and students is Monday, August 28th at 3:30. Please bring your child directly to his/her classroom. There will be folks there to help guide your way. One of the things we will have at school that afternoon is a school bus, for students to practice getting on and off, and to take a little ride around the school grounds.
- School bus transportation is provided to Tewksbury families free of charge. Please take advantage of it. Riding the bus is a helpful way for your child to gain some independence – and it saves time and congestion during beginning and end of day drop-offs and pick-ups.
- School Site Council is an advisory body to the principal. Please consider spending one hour once a month (3rd Thursdays from 6:30 – 7:30) with me and others as we look at ways to help our children gain the social skills necessary to be successful in school. We will look at resources for parents and for parents to share with their children – and possibly put together a resource fair for all our families. This is a new direction for this group – please consider helping us out. Send an email to email@example.com if you are interested.
I think that’s enough info for now. Most of my general communications are via email. Please be sure that we have your up-to-date email addresses.
I’m proud and grateful to serve the Dewing community. We have a tremendously talented staff who care deeply about making your child(ren) happy, healthy, and smart. Together we can make this year wonderful.
See you soon!
Community Pass Information:
All Schools are now asking parents/guardians to register all required paperwork on Community Pass at the beginning of each school year. This includes accident/illness information, handbook signature, other legal documents, and whatever your child’s school is asking for. Each school is different. Please go to Community Pass and find your child’s school to register. (Note: there is no fee for required paperwork – it will show up as $0)
The Tewksbury Public School’s Community Pass Registration and Payment System
Please save this site as a favorite on your computer so you can find it any time you want to check your account or register for something else.
- Anyone with a child in the TPS already has a login and password. If you need your login and password please email Maura Rauseo at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-640-7831 x218. Please write down your login and password and keep it for future use as you will likely need it again this school year.
- Click “Browse Activities & Register” and then pick the program you want to register for: “Elementary School Required Paperwork”, “John F. Ryan Elementary School Required Paperwork”, “John W Wynn Middle School Required Paperwork”, “2017-2018 Before and After School Extended Day Program”, etc.
- Follow the directions and verify that all information is correct.
- You can register and pay for any tuition/fees right online. To choose credit card payment or EFT (checking account payment) choose credit card. There is a 2.9% convenience fee for credit card/debit card payments and $0.40 fee for checking acct payments (EFT – routing number and checking acct. number).
- If you do not want to pay online due to the convenience fee, please process the registration and choose “send payment” at checkout and proceed from there. We can not accept cash. Be sure to write what you are paying for and your family ID in the memo section of your check. Mail checks to:: Community Services, 139 Pleasant St., Tewksbury, MA or give it to the site your child attends
- You will be emailed a receipt for any transactions you make.
- Be sure to opt IN for the cell phone /text messaging as we may be using text messaging to communicate important information such as cancelations, closures, evacuations, etc.
- If you have questions about registration and payments please contact Maura Rauseo at email@example.com or 978-640-7831 x218.
- With this new system you may monitor your account, make payments, print receipts, print flex spending receipts and year end statements (called flex spending in the system) all in one place. (Note: there is no charge to do the required paperwork.) Accident Illness information will be saved for some programs and from year to year within the same school. Be sure to verify nothing has changed when you go through the forms. This is a safety issue and we do ask that you make sure you update your information each new season as phone numbers and emergency pick-ups can change. It is the parent’s responsibility to make sure all information is accurate and up to date.
Summer 2017 – I hope everyone is enjoying the glorious weather! I love to read all kinds of books, swim with my grandchildren, and visit with family and friends.
There are not many people at school right now – Our facilities crew – Mr. Stronach, Mrs. Ryan and Mr. West – work hard everyday to clean all the rooms in the school, move furniture, deliver boxes of new supplies, and so, so much more! Either Mrs. Fuller, our Assistant Principal and Preschool Coordinator, or I are here almost every day – organizing everything we need for a new school year. You wouldn’t believe how much time that takes!
If you have questions or concerns that you can’t find answers to on this site, please email either me or Mrs. Fuller. We’ll do our best to get back to you within one school day.