August 23, 2017
Dear North Street Families,
Welcome back to school! As the new principal of the North Street School, I am so happy to take this opportunity to introduce myself to all of you. I am beginning my 22nd year in education; I taught elementary school for nineteen years, and the past two years I was the Assistant Principal at The Center School in Stow, MA. I believe that my time in the classroom and in administration have prepared me well to serve you, the teachers, and your children as the principal here in Tewksbury. I am thrilled to be here!
The weather is still warm, and there is plenty of time for rest and relaxation. I hope your family is able to squeeze in all the summer has left to offer. However, the reliable reminders that school is starting soon are all around: the sun is setting earlier, teachers are beginning to come back to the building to prepare their classrooms, and the back-to-school aisle in the store is starting to look chaotic! I’d like to share with you some updates and upcoming events so you can be best prepared for the first day of school on Wednesday, August 30th.
- New Staff: We are excited to introduce new staff members to our North Street Community. Stephanie Falasca will be an academic instructional aide who will be working with many of our teachers and students to help strengthen both literacy and math skills during the school day. Melissa Gorman will be teaching fourth grade. Danielle Ruderman will be a Special Education teacher in our Developmental Learning Center. Finally, Catherine Stanieich will be a classroom instructional aide in the fourth grade co-taught classrooms. All three bring a great combination of enthusiasm, knowledge, and love for children to the North Street School, and we are elated to have them join us.
- Principal Coffees: I would love to meet with the families of our students, so that I can get to know your experiences here, what’s important to you, how I can best support you, and most importantly, put faces to names! Please join me on Thursday, August 31st or Friday September 8th at 9:00 in the cafeteria for an informal gathering to introduce ourselves to one another. I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible.
- New Tewksbury Public Schools website: https://www.tewksbury.k12.ma.us The district site is full of useful information, and also has a link to the North Street School’s direct page.
- Online Forms: there are several forms you will be asked to fill out, including student accident/illness forms and Student Handbook sign-off. This year, the district is using Community Pass, which is also how students will be registered for Extended Day programs and after school activities. I have attached a letter which explains the registration procedure. The link to the registration page is: https://register.communitypass.net/reg/login.cfm?cuBOAvnS0p4trnasCJNBkrfRqBZdBMM1ugTdgJwcwr%2BLxIFL2ZCtvf%2Fw
- Student Handbook: Tewksbury Public Schools has one Student Handbook for all four elementary schools across the district. However, there are changes made each year, so please make sure you review the handbook with your children. It can be found on our North Street website. Here is a direct link: https://www.tewksbury.k12.ma.us/north/about/student-handbook/
- Aspen: Each school in Tewksbury uses Aspen to manage many aspects of student data, including attendance, report cards, and schedules. Please make sure that your mailing address, phone numbers, and email address are all current. More information can be found on the district website, under the “resources” tab and “for parents” section.
- Arrival/Dismissal Procedures: We are pleased that the district offers such reliable transportation to all our students. In the event that you will be driving your child to school, please know that the parking lot is also receiving buses and vans, and there is a certain traffic path that must be followed. When you drive into the entrance, please stay to the right and follow the parking lot all the way back to the dumpster, where you can then make a u-turn. Cars line up along the right side of the building, next the the cafeteria. To keep all of our students safe, please wait for all buses and vans to leave before you do. Thank you for following the direction of the staff members who will be out there, helping to manage the flow of traffic and indicating when it is safe to drive. School begins at 8:45 and ends at 3:10.
- Lunch Monitors: We are in need of two lunch monitors this year. If you know anyone who might be interested, please refer to the attachment which explains the application process.
- Upcoming Dates:
- Wednesday, August 30: First Day of School!
- Friday, September 1: No School
- Monday, September 4: No School
- Tuesday, September 12: Open House, 6-8pm
I have four children in my house that are getting ready for back to school, and I know what a busy time these last few days of summer can bring. Once school starts, the year tends to take off on us! I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and create those memories that only happen in these magical months. Soon enough, the school year will bring it’s own busy pace. I look forward to the memories and magic that your children will experience here at the North Street School.