Why the Need Now?…
The aging condition of our high school makes it very difficult for our children to receive the education they deserve and need to compete and succeed in the 21st century.
In 2005, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) concluded that the current TMHS DOES NOT MEET ACCREDITATION STANDARDS.
NEASC wrote, “Every year this problem is not addressed increases the magnitude of the eventual negative impact on teaching and learning.”
This was confirmed by the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) who thoroughly evaluated our high school in 2007. They concluded TMHS showed the GREATEST NEED for a new high school. We were fortunately selected for the NEW Model School program.
MSBA has already set aside the funds for our new high school. Money spent is reimbursed every 30 days!…GUARANTEED!
MSBA will reimburse us a guaranteed minimum reimbursement rate of 60.06% of the project cost (actual rate determined by the final design…certain ‘green’ criteria result in higher reimbursement rates).
FAILURE to ACT NOW will bump us out of the Model School Program, cause us to lose any reimbursement, and any chance for a new high school. The money set aside for us will go to another community.
Our opportunity for a new high school will be gone for the foreseeable future.
March 1, 2010 Special Town Meeting Presentation
January 26, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Presentation
Project Background (November 2005 to January 2010)
November 2005: Tewksbury Long Range Planning Committee retained the services of Symmes Maini & McKee Associates (SMMA) to evaluate the educational needs, space and code requirements and conditions of the town’s schools.
July 2006: Tewksbury submits Statement of Interest (SOI) to Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA)
September 2006: SMMA delivers Master Plan Study to Tewksbury Long Range Planning Committee.
November 2007: MSBA accepts Tewksbury Statement of Interest.
May 2008: Town Meeting votes appropriates 1.3 million for Feasibility Study.
January 2009: Tewksbury High School Building Committee (HSBC) and MSBA select and approve Owners Project Manager (OPM) Heery International, Inc.
February 2009: MSBA accepts Tewksbury into the Model School Program
January to August 2009:
- Building Committee tours Model Schools in Hudson, Ashland and Whitman.
- Building Committee, MSBA and Heery complete enrollment validation and confirm educational space summary
- Building Committee and Heery perform preliminary Geotechnical site borings to investigate subsurface conditions to assist in location of proposed building.
- Building Committee and Heery perform existing conditions land survey for property lines, location of wetlands, utility and infrastructure services.
September 2009: Building Committee and Heery prepared and performed request for proposals and interviews for architect selection.
September 15, 2009: Building Committee selects Symmes Maini & McKee Associates as the Architect subject to contract agreement and execution.
December 2009: SMMA completes Schematic Design, adapting the Hudson High School Model to Tewksbury’s site and educational needs.
January 8, 2010: Schematic Design, Educational Program, and Cost Estimates are submitted to MSBA for final project approval.
January 27, 2010: MSBA approved the TMHS Schematic Design.
Tewksbury Memorial High School – Next Steps
I.) Schematic Design Phase – September 2009 to March 2010 (Next 120 days)
- September 2009: Finalize Architect Contract Negotiations and Issue Notice to Proceed.
- October to November 2009:
- Review and confirm educational and program with Tewksbury Public Schools
- Prepare schematic design to include items such as:
- building floor plans
- building elevations
iii.site layout of building, driveway & parking lot, landscape features
iv.sustainable design such as: renewable energy initiatives, Mass CHPS
- November 2009:
- Tewksbury, MSBA, SMMA & Heery review and confirm schematic design for educational, program and community requirements.
- Heery and SMMA perform project cost estimates.
- December 2009:
- Heery & SMMA reconcile cost estimates
- Tewksbury, Heery & SMMA prepare program for scope and budget agreement with MSBA.
- January 2010:
- Tewksbury & MSBA meet and establish Project Scope & Budget Agreement.
- MSBA Board Meeting reviews and votes on Project Scope & Budget Agreement.
- Winter 2010
- Special town meeting: Monday, March 1, 2010
- Ballot Vote: Saturday, March 6, 2010
- II) Construction Document Phase
- March to July 2010
a. Finalize design to construction documents.
b. Update and perform cost estimates.
c. Permitting and approval.
III) Procurement Phase
- July to August 2010:
- Prequalification of contractor.
- Bid and Award construction contract.
- IV) Construction Phase
- September 2010 to July 2012
- Construct New High School Building & Site.
- September 2012 Open New High School.
- September 2012 to May 2013
- Demolition of existing High School
- Project Closeout